Re: Span Definition

Diego,

An OCh signal represents a single optical signal. It is as such not equivalent
to your optical link, which is multi-channel (i.e. multi-signal).
                          OCh_1                                     OCh_6
 |------------------------------------------------------------||---------------
     OCh_5                                    OCh_2
 ------------------||---------------------------------------------------------|
        OCh_4                        OCh_3
 ------------------||-----------------------------------------|
        OMSn_a                OMSn_b                OMSn_c          OMSn_d
 |-----------------||--------------------||-------------------||--------------|
 OTSn_A OTSn_B OTSn_C OTSn_D     OTSn_E   OTSn_F OTSn_G OTSn_H  OTSn_I  OTSn_J
 |-----||----||----||-------||-----------||-----||-----||-----||------||------|

n OCh signals are transported via one OMSn signal. One OMSn signal is
transported via one OTSn signal. At the endpoint of an OMSn, all n OCh signals
are accessible, and may be connected to another OMSn or terminated (3R
regeneration). Note that the termination of OCh signals doesn't have to be
performed at the same points in the network as shown in the figure above.
Nevertheless, in today's core network it is typical that all OCh signals are
terminated at the end of an OMSn section; but in the all-optical network of
tomorrow this will not longer be the case.

OMSn_a and OMSn_b (etc.) may have different values of n; e.g. OMS80_a and
OMS32_b.

Up to so far. Allow me to ask a question about the benefits for our telecom
industry of introducing a second set of terms to describe the optical transport
network. Wouldn't it be more efficient when we just use a single set of terms?

Regards,

Maarten

Diego Caviglia wrote:

> Hi Marteen ,
>                 you're right, thank you for your clarification.
> Thus accordingly to your mail the Optical Link definition become:
>
>  Optical   Link   "An   Optical  Link  consist  of  a number of channels between
> two adjacent 3R regeneration sites"
> An Optical Link is what in ITU-T is called Och
>
> Regards.
>
> Diego.

> Diego Caviglia
> Photonic Networks Design and Modeling
> E-mail: diego.caviglia@marconi.com
> Tel: +39 0 10 6003 808
> Via A. Negrone 1A 16153 Genoa (Italy)
> http://www.marconi.com
>
> Maarten Vissers <mvissers@lucent.com> on 06/07/2001 10.55.51
>

>  To:      Diego Caviglia/MAIN/MC1@MCMAIN
>
>  cc:      ling.liu@edgeflow.com, jplang@calient.net,
>           ccamp@ops.ietf.org
>

>  Subject: Re: Span Definition
>

> Diego,
>
> 3R regeneration sites are in the OTN (G.872, G.709, G.798) represented
> by the OCh termination point; i.e. when the OCh signal is terminated 3R
> processing is performed including section monitoring (OTUk or OTUkV
> termination).
> The OMS termination point is not associated with 3R processing. It is
> only involved with optical multiplexing/demultiplexing (OCh signals are
> muxed/demuxed here) and termination of the OMS trail (OMSn_TT and
> OMSn/OCh_A functions). For more information on functionality of the OTN
> atomic functions you can have a look at draft G.798 version 0.8.1 at
> ftp://sg15opticalt:otxchange@ftp.itu.int/tsg15opticaltransport/wp3/q9/g798/g798v0_8_1.pdf
>
> You can see the allocation of OTSn, OMSn, OCh, OTUk, etc also depicted
> in slide 15 of the following OTN/G.709 presentation
> ftp://sg15opticalt:otxchange@ftp.itu.int/tsg15opticaltransport/OTN/g709-intro.ppt
>
> Regards,
>
> Maarten
>
> Diego Caviglia wrote:
> >
> > Ling-Zhong, Jonathan
> >
> >                                                  Could  you  please  review
> your
> > definition of span accordingly to the following one?
> >
> > Span  "A  span  consists  of  a  number of channels between two adjacent
> Optical
> > Amplification sites, a Span is a part of an Optical Link"
> > A Span is what in ITU-T is called OTS
> >
> > Optical  Link  "An  Optical  Link  consist  of  a number of channels between
> two
> > adjacent 3R regeneration sites"
> > An Optical Link is what in ITU-T is called OMS
> >
> > Regrads
> >
> > Diego.

> > Diego Caviglia
> > Photonic Networks Design and Modeling
> > E-mail: diego.caviglia@marconi.com
> > Tel: +39 0 10 6003 808
> > Via A. Negrone 1A 16153 Genoa (Italy)
> > http://www.marconi.com
begin:vcard
n:Vissers;Maarten
tel;cell:+31 62 061 3945
tel;fax:+31 35 687 5976
tel;home:+31 35 526 5463
tel;work:+31 35 687 4270
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Optical Network Group;Lucent Technologies Nederland
version:2.1
email;internet:mvissers@lucent.com
title:Consulting Member of Technical Staff
adr;quoted-printable:;;Botterstraat 45=0D=0A=0D=0A;1271 XL Huizen;;;The Netherlands
fn:Maarten Vissers
end:vcard