Re: Queries regarding LMP.

Hi Martin, comments in-line

Martin Dubuc wrote:

> Q1) a) & b) LMP is useful for auto-discovery of links and monitoring of
> control and data link health. To determine whether LMP is useful or not,
> one has to look at the operational aspect of product deployment and
> maintenance, i.e. what tools the vendor wants to implement to facilitate
> provisioning and maintenance of their customers network. In a small
> network, a vendor may be able to get away with manual configuration of
> links. In an opaque network, it is also easy to pinpoint link failures.
> However, in a truly optical network, there needs to be mechanisms to
> isolate faults (which LMP provides).

When you say "truly optical network", do you mean a network that has no
O/E/O (no 3R) at all? or is there some 3R at the edge?

As for mechanisms to isolate faults, I think this capability is already
part of networks. For example, SONET has mechanisms such as trace
identifiers, AIS/RDI signals, and tandem connection points for doing
this. OTN (G.709) also has these defined. In addition, OTN has defined 6
flexible layers for TCM and 2 fixed layer for TCM (section and path).

I think LMP is not necessary for fault isolation, but it could be
another mechanism that may be used (if one so chooses).