From: Vasant Sahay
To: Mannie, Eric; Bilel Jamoussi; ''Andre Fredette' ';
''ccamp@ops.ietf.org' '
Sent: 7/30/2001 4:34 PM
Subject: RE: Optical Link Interface

>The misconception here is that they have the same functionalities and
>that LMP definition is complete. I believe there is a lot of discussion
>and thought that needs to go into LMP if used as basis for OLI. WDM-LMP
>being based on LMP will also suffer that thrash.
[Jonathan]...and NTIP is complete and will not suffer any thrashing?

>Let us start with reliable transport(or lack thereof).
>How are failures conveyed reliably from WDM to OXC ?
>
>LMP defines ACK messages, however I couldnt find any reference to how
>they should be used to recover lost messages.
[Jonathan]Failures notification is idempotent.  LMP is optimized to
react to alarms rapidly and doesn't require stop-and-wait procedures.
Alarms are treated as independent events.  Eash alarm is transmitted until
acknowledged (see Section 6).  If an alarm status changes, prior to
receiving the Ack, the new status is simply transmitted.
For a procedural reference, LMP works very much like that of RSVP-TE
message Ids in RFC2961.

>WDM-LMP draft specifies that an ACK should be sent for each
>channelStatus message. This level of definition is far from complete.
>
>So the question is if a few hundred failures were reported, what is the
>nature of this ACK scheme for recovering lost messages ? Are we going
>recommend a stop and wait protocol or a sliding window protocol ? (A
>stop and wait scheme is easy to implement but slow at recovering
>messages ) Or is the recovery scheme beyond the scope of the protocol ?
[Jonathan]Currently, a window size is intentionally not specified.  We
can add a recommendation in terms of message transmission and processing if
that is helpful.

>If a sliding window is chosen, the implementor will develop code to
>reinvent what TCP does and will have to go through a maturing cycle for
>his  sliding window scheme. There will also be implementation issues
>with managing real time OS timers at application level.
[Jonathan]We certainly don't want to reinvent TCP.  We don't need such a
heavy-weight protocol for this interface.  What we need is a reliable
lightweight messaging protocol that can react to failures rapidly.

>Keep in mind the WDM vendors are not in the business of developing
>transmission protocols for reliablity.They need a solution that can be
>easily added to their existing systems, many of which are legacy
>systems.
>
>In contrast NTIP has thought through these issues and uses TCP as the
>reliable transport.
>

>To start with that is one fundamental difference in the transport of
>NTIP vs LMP or WDM-LMP
>
>I am concerned about such open items in LMP which will come to haunt
OLI