RE: Optical Link Interface

Title: RE: Optical Link Interface
Dear Vasant,

OK, I'll bite.

My copy of TCP/IP Illustrated, volume 1, shows TCP doing exponential backoff (page 299), at a pretty leisurely pace, for about nine minutes before giving up. This is, of course, measured using a general-purpose OS, but at some point - well, how long were you planning to wait for TCP retransmissions?

I am somewhat confused as to how this lines up with successfully retransmitting lost "events" in 10s of ms.

I am somewhat confused as to how using TCP (with exponential retransmission timers) is a substitute for application-level timers. If you have to run application-level timers anyway... well, I thought that was where SCTP came from!

If you guys were flogging SCTP, I would still be confused, but at least I would think that you weren't ignoring decades of wailing about using TCP for real-time signaling. http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98dec/43rd-ietf-98dec-142.html#TopOfPage is an interesting overview, but doesn't BEGIN to reflect the volume level.

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Spencer