AW: [T1X1.5] arbitrary contiguous concatenation question

Eric,

as arbitrary contiguous concatenation is not defined by ITU or T1X1 and only mentioned in this document it should be clarified here.

If you look on a STS-3c-SPE contiguous concatenated signal you notice that it is not really contiguous when it is combined with other STS-SPE signals in higher bandwidth STS-N signal. This is due to the two stage multiplex process defined for SONET (historical reasons). In a first step a STS-3 is gnerated by byte interleaving 3 STS-1. In a second step a STS-3x is generated by byte interleaving x STS-3.

Some examples:

A STS-3c-SPE in a STS-3:
The STS-3 has the STS-1 time slots 1,2 and 3.
The STS-3c-SPE uses the time slots 1,2 and 3. -> contiguous

A STS-3c-SPE in a STS-12:
The STS-12 has the STS-1 time slots 1 to 12.
The STS-3c-SPE can use the time slots
1, 5 and 9
2, 6 and 10
3, 7 and 11
4, 8 and 12
-> not contiguous

A STS-12c-SPE in a STS-12:
The STS-12 has the STS-1 time slots 1 to 12.
The STS-12c-SPE uses the time slots 1 to 12. -> contiguous

A STS-12c-SPE in a STS-192:
The STS-192 has the STS-1 time slots 1 to 192
The STS-12c-SPE can use the time slots
1,2,3,4, 65,66,67,68, 129,130,131,132
5,6,7,8, 69,70,71,72, 133,134,135,136
61,62,53,64, 125,126,127,128, 189,190,191,192
-> not contiguous

From a STS-1 time slot view the STS-Nc-SPE doesn't use contiguous time slots.
Only fro ma STS-3 time slot view a STS-Nc-SPE uses contiguous time slots.
A STS-12c-SPE in a STS-192:
The STS-192 has the STS-3 time slots 1 to 64
The STS-12c-SPE can use the time slots
1,2,3,4,
5,6,7,8,
61,62,53,64,
-> contiguous

For arbitrary contiguous concatenation which can have any number of concetenated STS-1 and any starting time slot we have to define which time sltos are used, contiguous STS-1 or STS-3time slots? Should arbitrary contiguous cocnatenation of STS-1s use contiguous STS-1 time slots and arbitrary concatenation of STS-3c contiguous STS-3 timeslots in order to aline with arbitrary concatenatin of VC-4? This has to be defeind in order to achieve interworking as currently only hte number of concateanted signals and the starting time slot is defined for arbitrary contiguous concatenation. Another solution as Maarten mentioned is to list each individual time slot as for virtual concatenation.

This shows me again that it is very difficult to define support for proprietary features without having detailed information about them. You assume that you understand the feature, but as soon as you go into the details later on you detect problems.

Regards

Juergen