LMP Messages

Hi

I have a basic doubt regarding LMP Messages based on the latest LMP draft.

Section 3, paragraph 5 of the draft says

> There are four LMP messages that are used to manage individual
> control channels.  They are the Config, ConfigAck, ConfigNack, and
> Hello messages. These messages MUST be transmitted on the channel to
> which they refer.  All other LMP messages may be transmitted over
> any of the active control channels between a pair of LMP adjacent
> nodes.

Why is it that these messages MUST be transmitted on the channel to which
they refer. I can understand why LMP Hello messages need to be sent over the
control channel, which it refers to. But is it necessary to force the other
messages.

         ----------                      ----------
        |          |         C1         |          |
        |          |--------------------|          |
        | Switch 1 |                    | Switch 1 |

Based on the above picture assume that there are 2 control channels between
Switches 1 & 2. LMP messages are sent over IP. If I have to force messages
over individual channels then I need to get down to Layer 2. If I don't have
to force it, I can let IP routing pick any one of the available channels to
carry the message.

Thanks
Balu