Re: Moving right along ...

Hi,

Just some months ago, you asked the same question
but it was between AS's rather nodes. John Drake
responded to your question at that time... (sorry
i can't find it back otherwise i would have kindly
refreshed your memory...).

Thanks,
Dimitri.

Zhi-Wei Lin wrote:

> Hi Yanhe,
>
> Maybe there is some misunderstanding. Node B is strictly not GMPLS. It
> is simply part of the network that made up the "dumb" pipe. And because
> the control plane control channel is separate, A and C can be adjacent
> without ever knowing who B is or that even B existed. From A and C's
> point of view, the network looks like:
>
>   A ----- C
>
> Think of the case of how a BGP sees an area. If an area is made up of:
>
>   A -- B -- C
>
> and B is internal router, does BGP "see" B?
>
> Zhi
>
> Yanhe Fan wrote:
>
> > Hi, Zhi
> >

> >>For the label value for SONET/SDH or the label description in the
> >>generic draft, the label is defined as directly representing the
> >>"timeslot". Now if I have a control plane controlled transport network
> >>that goes through a ADM that is not control plane controlled, as:
> >>

> >>+--------+               +--------+               +--------+
> >>|        | ---1--------- |        | ----1-------- |        |
> >>|        | ---2--------- |        | ----2-------- |        |
> >>|  A     | ---3--------- |   B    | ----3-------- |   C    |
> >>|        | ---4--------- |        | ----4-------- |        |
> >>|        | ---5--------- |        | ----5-------- |        |
> >>+--------+               +--------+               +--------+
> >>
> >>Now imagine A and C is part of GMPLS, but B is just a legacy ADM. So at
> >>A you have labels 1,2,3,4,5 (imagine these as in the SUKLM format) and C
> >>has labels 1,2,3,4,5 incoming.
> >>
> >>Now imagine that at B, it actually has a fixed cross-connect that
> >>connects A-1 (A's timeslot #1) to C-2 (C's incoming timeslot #2), A-2 to
> >>C-3, A-3 to C-4, A-4 to C-5, A-5 to C-1.
> >>
> >>Now when A GMPLS sends a message to C, the label it uses is "1".
> >>However, the connection/LSP associated with timeslot "1" is actually the
> >>label of timeslot "2" at C. </z>
> >>

> > In this case, you're trying to use GMPLS to setup an LSP cross a node (B)
> > which can't understand GMPLS.
> >
> > Now imagine A, B and C are all OXCs, can you setup an LSP A-B-C by using
> > GMPLS if B can't understand GMPLS?
> >
> > Now imagine A and B are LSRs, and B is a conventional router (can't
> > understand
> > MPLS), can you setup an LSP A-B-C?
> >
> > Now imagine A, B and C are ATM switches, can you setup a svc if B can't
> > understand PNNI at all?
> >
> > My point is that in order to make you case work, some additional work need
> > be done besie simply using GMPLS as singnaling protocol, becase some node on
> > the path is not GMPLS speakers. A and C needs the info of time slot aligment
> >
> > between them. This can be done by some configurations, some link management
> > protocls (LMP maybe) etc. As long as A and C have this piece of info,
> > eveything
> > works fine.
> >
> > Yanhe

begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NA (NSG) - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard