From: Yakov Rekhter [mailto:yakov@juniper.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 8:17 AM
To: Lazer, Monica A, NNAD
Cc: 'shehzad.mirza@bt.com'; ccamp@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Generalized Signaling - LSP Encoding Type expansion

Monica,

> All,
> I am in full agreement with Shehzad. From a carrier's perspective, the
value
> of the control plane is in taking over specific functions which currently
> reside in OSSs outside of the network itself. Having only some
applications,
> but not others of the given function move into the network greatly
> diminishes the value of having that function supported in the control
plane.
> To be more specific, if out of n services supported by the transport
> network, the control plane supports automated provisioning  of 1/2n
services
> and the other 1/2n need support in the OSS, we still need to do the OSS
work
> for the given transport technology. So from a cost perspective, now we
have
> to ask ourselves whether we should pay for the provisioning function
twice.

While what you said makes sense from a given carrier's perspective,
we need to take a broader view, as producing a "perfect solution"
that meets *all* the requirements of *all* the carriers is an
explicit non-goal of GMPLS. With this in mind, if the 1/2n services
that aren't supported by the control plane are the services that
are required by 90% of the carriers market, then indeed this is a
problem. On the other hand, if these 1/2n services that aren't
supported are the services required by only 10% of the carriers
market, then this is quite acceptable. Understandably, the carriers
who would fall into this 10% category could be quite unhappy about,
and could even be quite vocal in expressing their dissatisfaction...

Yakov.

> Regards,
>
> Monica A. Lazer
> Advanced Transport Technology and Architecture Planning
>
> 908 234 8462
> mlazer@att.com

OIF
> > site