Re: Generalized Signalling - LSP Encoding Type expansion

Shehzad,

> Yakov,
>
> The percentage of carriers that have all of their requirements met by the
> current GMPLS drafts is an unknown.  However the following points still
> need to be addressed.
>
> 1.  Why would an operator adopt GMPLS infrastructure if it only carried a
> subset of the transport services that they are already offer to customers?
> In effect spending more and getting less.

It depends on the percentage of the total profit that could be generated by
the subset.

> 2.  Why is there a problem reserving a code-point for a service that some
> vendors may wish to implement on their GMPLS equipment?  Presumably they
> would not implement capability for which there is no demand.

If all you ask is a code-point, this code point is relevant only
to the LSPs' end-points, and not every GMPLS vendor is *required* to support
this code-point, then I don't think there is a problem with doing
this.

> 3.  What is the process by which certain transport services are decided
> suitable for inclusion into the GMPLS specifications/drafts?  It seems that
> inclusion of additional services fraught with difficulties, this is likely
> to get worse when the drafts turn into specifications.

The types of services that would be suitable for inclusion are the services
that (a) would *not* require changes/upgrades to the GMPLS core, and (b) would
not require every GMPLS vendor to implement every service.

Yakov.