Re: Moving right along ...

Hi Sudheer,

OK I'll try to highlight some. I think Maarten mentioned one already:
-- ASON is based on a separation of layer network.

Not only that, ASON is also based on separation of functional roles of
the switched network. ASON defines the architecture of the switched
network in terms of the interactions of different components. Components
defined by ASON performs specific tasks:
--Call controller (CallC) is the "service" component that interfaces
with the user to support service requests. I believe this can be viewed
as been handled by the OIF UNI specification, which provides the user to
network request capability
--Connection controller (CC) is the network component that supports the
connection operations, which includes setup and release of individual
links (ITU: link connections) in support of the user request. A set of
connection controllers are involved on a sub-network (area of AS) basis
to set up/release connections within its domain of responsibility, and
interacts with other CC in different ways depending on how the operator
configures the interactions. Methods of interaction include a joint
federation model and a cooperative federation model. CC is I think what
GMPLS is about, in terms of setting up and releasing/tearing down
connections.
--Link resource manager is the network component that assigns a link
(ITU: link connection) from a link bundle/TE-link (ITU: link). Thus the
progression of signaling goes from CC which receives requests for
connections to LRM which chooses a link, and provides the CC with the
requested link information so that CC can set up a sub-network
connection (a connection across a sub-network). Note that sub-network
connection "concept" is a recursive definition where the limit of
recursion of a sub-network connection is the fabric connection. The LRM
from GMPLS perspective is subsumed into the CC (this is where the label
negotiation takes place).
--Routing controller (RC) is the network component that provides the
routing information, including route dissemination, route determination,
route table update, etc. Three models of routing has been defined:
hierarchical, source-based and step-by-step. As part of the routing
definition, a "routing area" is defined to support
multi-level/hierarchical routing domains. This is very similar (maybe
identical?) to the OSPF/BGP separation of roles.

NOTE that these are all logical components (what ITU calls a
computational view of the control plane), with certain distribution
assumed (what ITU calls an engineering view of the control plane).
Different implementations of these components may have, e.g., CallC, CC
and LRM all in one "box" while another implementation may have CallC in
one box and CC, LRM and RC in another box. However, the functionality is
equivalant. Only difference is in terms of which interfaces have been
exposed and becomes external (that is standardizable).

Now to how different or similar is ASON/G.dcm with GMPLS. In terms of
the information mapping and message mapping between them, I would say
they are very close to each other. For example, when ASON/G.dcm
discusses setup/release operations, it views the transport resources as
an "abstract" entity called SNP (subnetwork point). If you are familiar
with management objects, the SNP is very similar to SNTP (subnetwork
termination point). Where SNTP provides the management system with a
view of the underlying transport resources (CTP or TTP or simply TP),
the SNP provides the control plane with a view of the underlying
transport resources. As such these SNP and SNPP (SNP pools which is an
aggregation of the SNPs into a logical "bundle" based on some policy or
provisioned constraints) is used in setting up a connection. The
SNP/SNPP provides an abstraction barrier between physical resources and
logical resources and is provided on a layer basis (i.e., SNP ID
information for a STS-1 layer is independent of the SNP ID information
for a STS-3c layer is independent of the SNP ID information for a ODU1
layer).

The other difference is that ASON/G.dcm deals with abstract "names" in
terms of specifying relevant endpoints. This is simply a "protocol
neutral" aspect of addresses used in GMPLS, where GMPLS assumes IPv4 and
IPv6, G.dcm does not assume any addressing scheme. This is not
inconsistent, only different levels of specification. One of the "names"
defined in ASON/G.dcm is a "call name" which is a reference to the call.
IETF GMPLS I believe "sort-of" supports this. Call name is essentially a
globally unique identifier that identifies the call. IETF GMPLS also
provides a globally unique identifier in the form of SESSION and
SENDER_TEMPLATE (for RSVP-TE).

There are also capabilities described in GMPLS that is currently not
specified by the ASON/G.dcm. This includes the capabilities supported by
the Admin_Status object (turning on/off monitoring), and the multiplier
parameter within the SONET/SDH SENDER_TSPEC/FLOWSPEC object. For
example, many of the parameters that support the SONET/SDH connection
(such as what signal type, encoding type, NCC, NVC) are implied
information in ASON/G.dcm since they are layer information. These
parameters in GMPLS may be thought of as an implementation of the layer
information for the specific protocol.

GMPLS RSVP-TE is a soft-state protocol, CR-LDP is more a hard-state
protocol. ASON/G.dcm does not specify whether the protocol needs to be
soft-state or hard-state. It discusses what are the behaviours and how
these "systems" may recover from problems. It also provides a high-level
state transition diagram on the operation of the signaling mechanism.
 From this viewpoint, I also don't see too much inconsistency. Of
course, I haven't done any analysis/comparison. If anyone is interested
doing this it let me know!

  The first stage of the ITU specification for the ASON work is nearing
completion. The next stage is to start work on the protocol specific
implementations of the ASON model. At the current ITU meeting, we
already have United Kingdom (presented by British Telecom) bring in
contribution requesting to use PNNI as A protocol for supporting ASON.
This was also supported by other carriers. The ITU has now opened the
floor to any other protocols to be submitted as well.

So if people want to see GMPLS considered as one of the protocols for
ASON, someone needs to submit this to the ITU. Currently the decision is
that if any protocols meets the requirements outlined in ASON and G.dcm,
then they will be considered (i.e., any protocol). There were some
interest shown in the meeting to bringing in GMPLS.

Well, I hope this provides enough of a summary to help the discussions
along.

Zhi