RE: Moving right along ...

Hello Maarten,

> ASON is layer network based, GMPLS is not

Sorry, but you misunderstood how GMPLS works for SDH/SONET.

GMPLS supports *all* approaches that you described: "layer network based"
and/or "hidden set up of a STS-1 or VC-4 trail supporting an additional
VT/LOVC link or extending an existing VT/LOVC link".

The difference between these two approaches is a policy matter and should be
independent of the protocols. That's what we are doing (made) with GMPLS: we
are developing a toolbox without specifying (forcing) the policies.

That's up to the manufacturer to decide which policies he will implement
(e.g. both) and to the operator to decide which policies he wants to use.
Policies can even be dynamic and depends on customers. You can even use the
COPS model to deal with these policies.

To be more clear, at each switch you could have different policies, at some
places the call could fails (referring here to you example), at some places
the call could trigger a "hidden" VC-4. GMPLS doesn't specifies that. An
operator could operate its network in a pure layer network based approach,
or using only the other approach or using a mix.

If you mean that ASON "hardcoded" the policies by limiting the architecture
and the protocols to the example you gave (layer network based), that's a
*serious* limitation of ASON (and by the way totally unjustified). Clearly
from that perspective ASON is a subset of GMPLS. Is it the case ?

Kind regards,

Eric