RE: Moving right along ... Switching Type

Title: RE: Moving right along ... Switching Type

Yakov,

See embedded comment below.

Ewart

[EWART]: Correct. OXC1 may be capable of performing signal conversion or, more likely, there may be some intermediate non-GMPLS device between R1 & OXC1 that performs such a conversion (refer to e-mail entitled "Query on Encoding field wrt presence of technology conversion devices - OSPF-TE/ISIS-TE extensions", 23rd Oct., on which you were copied and which, for the benefit of those that were not, I have repeated below) because the OXC has no GigE interface port.

"Within the GMPLS related routing documents (draft-ietf-ccamp-ospf-gmpls-extensions & draft-ietf-isis-gmpls-extensions), there is an Encoding field contained in the Interface Switching Capability Descriptor sub-TLV of the Link/IS Reachability TLV.

My request for GMPLS to support FiberChannel is driven by a need for clients to be able to attach to the ASTN using FiberChannel. However, the ASTN devices at the edge (e.g. LSR A in the diagram below) may not be equipped with FiberChannel ports. In this situation, the FiberChannel coming from the client device (client A in the diagram below) has to pass through a technology conversion device that maps the FiberChannel to something which LSR A is capable of supporting. For example, there are devices readily available on the market today that map FiberChannel to POS. Client A is opaque to this conversion being done - when client A wants to establish an LSP on the FiberChannel link, it does so using FiberChannel based GMPLS signalling (i.e. LSP Enc. Type = FiberChannel, G-PID = FC-3) - the signalling is handled by LSR A, and not by the non-GMPLS savvy technology conversion device. Similarly, any signalling performed by LSR A to client A wrt this same link will use FiberChannel based GMPLS signalling, even though the link which manifests itself on a FiberChannel port on client A manifests itself on a SONET port on LSR A. However, in terms of the GMPLS signalling that LSR A propagates downstream, within a SONET based ASTN, this will be SONET based GMPLS signalling.

                            SONET          SONET (LSP Enc. Type = SONET,
                              |                 G-PID = one of POS*)
                technology    v            v             v            v                         client A ------ conversion ------ LSR A ------- LSR B ------ LSR C ------- client B

           ^      device
           |                                          ASTN
      FiberChannel
        (LSP Enc. Type = FiberChannel,
         G-PID = FC-3)

My question is that in the above instance, the LSP established between client A and client B will have an Encoding Type of FiberChannel from client A's perspective, and of type SONET from client B's perspective. How do the OSPF-TE/ISIS-TE extensions handle the above case?"