Re: Moving right along ... Switching Type

Hi Maarten:

Following ASON model... I have noticed the assumption that a set of
 access groups will form a subnet if and only if they at at the same
layer. With this in mind I have few comments below...

Maarten Vissers wrote:

> In a layered network approach (e.g. ASON), the switching type is obsolete... the
> routing is performed within a single layer network, using the links (ITU-T term)
> that are available in that layer network.

What do you mean switching type is obsolete? Does this mean you do not consider
it in G.7713 (DCM document)?

> >From a layer network's perspective, nodes have just a single switching
> capability (i.e. of that layer network)... nodes who do not have that switching
> capabiltiy are invisible... and nodes with this and other switching capabilities
> will only be presented with this layer network's switching capability; the other
> switching capabilities are invisible.

Does this mean a port  (to be precise an interface - IETF terminology) on a node
with multiple switching capabilities (reconfigurable adaptation functions :-)) will
be part of multiple subnetworks?

> Perhaps a additional sentence should be added to clarify that the switching type
> is obsolete for the case of a layered network approach.

I would not do this in such a hurry :-)

Regards,

sudheer