WG: Moving right along ... Switching Type

Dimitri,

thanks for the clarification.
From this information it seems first to me that the values for the switching
type are miss-leading, instead of "TDM" or "WDM" we should use "time slots"
and "wavelengths". But furthermore what additional information does the
switching type provide in addition to the signal type. It seems that the
switching type is always defined by the signal type. A ODU1 signal type has
a switching type of TDM/time slot and a OCh a switching type of
WDM/Wavelength.
Can you or someone else give an example where the switching type is not
related to the signal type (e.g. signal type ODU1 and switching type
WDM/wavelength)?

For the first example you say that the upper ODU1 (OTM1.4) are identified by
individual OCh IDs. I assume that the lower ODU1 are identified by the ODU2
OCh ID and the timeslot within the ODU2.
It looks strange to me, that I have to use different methods for the label
generation depending on the server layers. This results in the problems with
example 2. Combining several signals using TDM or WDM is no difference from
the basic signal flow. It is a technology choice that may change over time.
GMPLS is in my view for this case too much focused on technologies. I would
prefer a label that is independent of the server layer technology. This
would allow to change the server layer at intermediate points without
problems.

Regards

Juergen