Re: draft-papadim-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh-interwork-00.txt

Deborah, all,

The "label" format issue is orthogonal to the discussion we
are engaging with this I-D. Nevertheless we have already
received numerous comments and lengthy discuss this issue;
therefore i think the decision will be endorsed during the
next IETF meeting (... from the control plane viewpoint) but
this orthogonality implies that different LSP Encoding Type
for SDH and Sonet do not preclude "same" or better "equivalent"
SUKLM label notation. So please do not take this I-D in this
context.

Now, you (Maarten as well by the way) are arguing since a long
time now to merge the two corresponding SDH and SONET LSP
Encoding Type codepoints into a single unique SDH/Sonet value.
This is an different issue. My point of view on this issue has
always been the same if the transmission plane defines inter-
working between both "encoding" without any explicit processing
coming from control plane then your proposal can be considered.
This would result in merging of the SDH and SONET codepoints
into a G.707 codepoint for instance for the LSP Encoding Type.

Nevertheless it seems that when comparing your statement (as
well as the conclusion of Maarten) and the differences listed
it looks like there is a contradiction: if differences may
appear between ETSI SDH interfaces themselves these differences
can't be fewer when including ANSI SONET interfaces within
the same set. I am not saying these differences are significative
for the control plane (Maarten describes them as "noise") but i
would like to open the discussion and clearly determine if they
are impacting the control plane specification and corresponding
processing - and to which extend of course: if we define a common
value and then plenty of exceptions what's the advantage ? -

This is one of the objective of the document, it is not at all
the aim to "redefine" the interworking section 6.4 of G.707. Your
point of view seems to be very clear: abstract these differences...
we will see in our future discussions if this can be achieved
without any impact on the control plane definition. Remember
also that this I-D is informational.

Hope this clarifies a little bit the situation.

Regards,
- dimitri.

"Brungard, Deborah A, ALCTA" wrote:

> Just back from vacation, my comments may be late but they are not much
> different from my previous comments. It seems we are still discussing one
> label vs. two...
>
> I, and others, have continually commented that G.707 contains both ETSI SDH
> and ANSI SONET. It has always contained both. Supporting two gmpls general
> labels - one for ANSI T1.105 and one for ITU-T G.707 - is incorrect and adds
> unnecessary complexity for both equipment and operators. If by sdh, the
> implication is the TUG-3 structure, than refer to this explicitly in the
> label. Or say ETSI sdh. The preference by international operators is to
> simplify - we prefer one general label with technology specific details
> (TUG3 vs. TUG2) to be addressed by the technology specific documents. Other
> international operators have supported my comments on this exploder.  If
> this comment is not acceptable by the editors of the mpls-gen signaling
> document, it would be productive to have a response as to why?
>
> If the draft on sonet-sdh-interwork is intended to be a rationale for
> maintaining two different labels, we can grueling go thru the exercise on
> this exploder and comment on it. I would propose (as Randy has already
> requested) for sdh/sonet technology discussions, let's take the discussion
> to the ITU-T exploder i.e. my first comment on this draft is the incorrect
> assumption that one needs to do transport level processing to interwork a
> VC-3 with a STS-1 SPE. This is incorrect - one does not touch the signal -
> no removal of fixed stuff bytes is required - the VC-3 and STS-1 SPE are
> equivalent for DS3 mappings and 34M (note the DS3 mapping is different than
> a 34M mapping). It is simply transporting a VC-3 containing a DS3 (or 34M)
> via AU3 or via AU4 (both supported in G.707!). If the authors of this
> document need additional info, just ask via the ITU-T Q11 exploder. Or we
> can discuss here...
>
> We can continue to go thru the draft line by line, or to move this
> discussion quickly, if we go to section 4, the only interworking rule which
> is listed as needed, is the conversion of the LSP encoding type from sdh to
> sonet. IF the same label would apply, there would be no need for gmpls
> sdh-sonet interworking.
>
> As Maarten notes below, there are many capabilities (positive
> connotation)/differences (negative connotation) within ETSI SDH and within
> ANSI SONET which do not allow for simply connecting two pieces of equipment
> either at a link level or end-to-end path level. A simple connection request
> may not even work between the same vendor's equipment :-( Defining different
> gmpls labels for sdh vs. sonet does not guarantee transport connectivity for
> SDH equipment or SONET equipment.
>
> Deborah Brungard
> AT&T

begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NA (NSG) - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard