RE: Lambda LSP establishment

Hi All,

A few comments,

>In MPLS the FA establishes "virtual" layer networks. In GMPLS the layer
networks already exist (SDH HO/LO-VCs, RS, MS, G.709 ODUs, OCh, OMS, OTS). A
FA basically corresponds to a real trail in a circuit switched network.

Eric: ...and this trail is setup dynamically using GMPLS. That's the
interest. One can think of SDH/SONET FAs as shortcuts or express-routes.

>One special thing about the SDH label is, that it includes a hierarchy as
it identifies the lower order VC in a higher order VC in a STM-N signal.
Note that this is somehow in contradiction with a statement in the GMPLS
signaling document which says

>"A Generalized Label only carries a single level of label, i.e., it is
   non-hierarchical.  When multiple levels of label (LSPs within LSPs)
   are required, each LSP must be established separately, see [MPLS-
   HIERARCHY]."

No, hierarchy of labels is not hierarchy of layers. And even one should have
a common definition of what means a "layer". This text says that we cannot
have multiple embedded labels, e.g. one label containting a label stack.
This is a signaling stuff that doesn't imply anything on the transport
plane.

Now, a label identifies ONE LSP at an interface. This LSP can be HO or LO in
SDH. The label can be fully specified or partially specified, depending on
the context where the LSP is established.

E.g. when an LSP is established over a FA, the highest part of the LSP label
is not relevant. When the FA LSP is established the lowest part of the FA
LSP label is not relevant.

If a low order LSP is established without any higher order FA, the label is
fully specified. As you said the link is indeed the "ultimate FA" in that
case. Except that from the routing point of view a link and an FA are two
different things. There is a routing adjacency "over" a link but not over a
FA.

The SDH/SONET label just includes what you need to include in each scenario.

Moreover, the label MUST be interpreted according to the type of interface
for which it is used. It is possible to code two labels having the same
value but a complete different meaning. Labels are context sensitive of
course.

For instance, an LSP over an STM-0 interface or over a FA will have the
highest part set to zero, and could possibly have the same lowest part. You
cannot understand what means the label without knowning the detail of the
interface. In that case, the interface is either an STM-0 interface or a
VC-3 FA. And of course that FA and STM-0 interface are two different things,
but from the LSP point of view, in both cases what it wants is a VC-3 in
which it can be multiplexed.

Hope this helps.

I start to wonder if we should have an informational draft describing
different scenarios of SDH/SONET LSP establishment. That could complement
the SDH/SONET signaling drafts and the GMPLS architecture. That could solve
many terminology and modeling issues.

Kind regards,

Eric