GMPLS Issue - Switching Type

In a brief discussion at the IETF meeting I was told that
Switching Type really is Multiplexing Type, that is, HOW the
LSP is to be carried over a link (not what is switched or
how it is switched).

This raises a set of issues that have not yet been discussed.
The first of these is: What problem is this solving?

Regards,
Ben Mack-Crane

The following issue raised 10/29/01 has not been addressed:

>Switching Type continues to be ill-defined.  I have heard that the real
>definition is different from that given in the current drafts.  If the
>signaling information is not clearly defined and it's use described, we
>can hardly expect interoperability.

I can't speak for others.  My belief is that there is a very concrete
definition.   I thought the text in the draft was clear as well, but let me
try again:

         Switching Type: 8 bits

         Indicates the type of switching that should be performed
         on a particular link.  This field is needed for links that
         advertise more than one type of switching capability.
         This field contains one of the values advertised for the
         corresponding link in the routing Switching Capability
         field as defined in [GMPLS-RTG].

In other words, on links where one Switching Capability is advertised
(which will be all the time for most equipment) Switching Type is set to
the same value as advertised in routing.  On links where multiple Switching
Capabilities are advertised, Switching Type is set to the value advertised
in Switching Capability that matches the type of switching to be performed.

[I'll put the revised text in the next rev...]