Re: Moving right along ... generalized-rsvp-te-05

Maarten

Switching Type has been defined to enable for instance the
following case if i well understood the explanations given
in the existing I-Ds:

            --- CF ---
           |          |
   link 1  |          | link 2
-----------            ---------

- link 1 supports TDM LSP Encoding Type
- link 2 supports TDM LSP Encoding Type

however at the end of
- link 1: PSC or LSC Switching capability can be provided
- link 2: PSC or LSC Switching capability can be provided

Notice that a Lambda LSP does not have to be established before
the setup of the packet LSP. Consequently this feature provides
additional about the implementation the Connection Function (CF)
into the switch. So i can understand why you have some problem
to understand this concept since typically CF implementation are
left unspecified. Typically what do you have in such circumstances
is the following:

       link1     - CF1 -     link3
                |       |
                |       |
       link2   -|- CF2 -|-   link4
              |           |
              |           |
    ----------             ---------

where CF_1=PSC and CF_2=LSC

with link 1 and link 3 supporting "packet" LSP Encoding
and  link 2 and link 4 supporting "lambda" LSP Encoding

In all the examples that you have listed:
- either the switching type through the LSP EncType and Signal Type
- or only the LSP Encoding Type (in case of Ethernet for instance)
so in such cases the Switching Type provides a redundant information.

Hope this helps you to understand the underlying concept.

Cheers,
- dimitri.

Maarten Vissers wrote:

> Markus, John, Lou, Manoj,
>
> I also still have a major issue to understand the switching type... or more
> precise I have the feeling it is too coarse and ill defined. Let me provide some
> more examples to evaluate:
>
> Frist Markus' network example... it will look like the following in reality
>
>  R1 ------ OXC1 ------ OXC2 ------ R2
>      OC-N        OC-N        OC-N
>
>               OC-N trail
>   |<------------------------------>|
>
>              STS-Nc trail
>  |<-------------------------------->|
>
>               IP Link
> |<---------------------------------->|
>
> I assume that OXC1/2 are all optical cross connects which pass through the
> complete OC-N signals.
>
> In order to route IP packets between R1 and R2, you need to set up an OC-N trail
> between R1 and R2. Once this is done, you need to set up a STS-Nc trail between
> R1 and R2. Once this is done you have an IP link with a bandwidth of 9 584 640
> kbit/s established between R1 and R2. Now IP signals can flow between R1 and R2.
>
> Now make the example a bit more complex and let me add a SONET cross connect in
> the chain.
>
>  R1 ------ OXC1 ------ OXC2 ------ DXC1 ------ R2
>      OC-N        OC-N        OC-N        OC-N
>
>               OC-N trail              OC-N trail
>   |<------------------------------>|  |<------>|
>
>                   STS-Nc trail
>  |<-------------------------------------------->|
>
>                       IP Link
> |<---------------------------------------------->|
>
> The physical interface in each case is an OC-N. The DXC1 is a SONET cross
> connect, which terminates the OC-N Section and Line layers and forwards the
> STS-Nc signal.
>
> What would the switching types be in this case when an LSP is requested between
> R1 and R2?
>
> Now assume that the transport network contains some OTN OXCs interconnected via
> 40G wavelengths. The Routers are having STM-16 physical interfaces with VC-4-16c
> path signal carrying IP traffic. The DXC1 is a SDH cross connect with an OTN
> OTM-0.3 (i.e. 40G) interface, which is carrying ODU1 (2G5) signals with STM-16
> inside.
>
>  R1 -------- OXC1 ---------- OXC2 ---------- OXC3 --------- DXC1 -------- R2
>      STM-16        OTM-64.3        OTM-40.3        OTM-0.3        STM-16
>
>                            OCh trail
>                 |<-------------------------->|
>
>                               ODU3 trail
>                |<----------------------------------------->|
>
>                                  ODU1 trail
>              |<-------------------------------------------->|
>
>                           STM-16 trail                        STM-16 trail
>   |<-------------------------------------------------------->||<-------->|
>
>                              VC-4-16c trail
>  |<---------------------------------------------------------------------->|
>
>                                  IP Link
> |<------------------------------------------------------------------------>|

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Dimitri;Papadimitriou Dimitri
tel;home:+32 2 3434361
tel;work:+32 3 2408491
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.alcatel.com
org:Alcatel Bell;IPO NA (NSG) - Antwerpen
version:2.1
email;internet:dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel.be
title:Optical Networking R&S - Senior Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Francis Wellesplein, 1=0D=0AB-2018 Antwerpen;;;;BELGIUM
fn:Papadimitriou Dimitri
end:vcard