RE: End-to-end L2-LSP

Dear Richard,

See in-line please,

>Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I anticipated
>that your response would include "over-provisioning is the best answer"
>to decrease the chance of congestion on non-GMPLS switches.
>This is what is done in the LAN environment today in conjunction with CoS,
>and this is why I believe there will be two opposing views on how
>far L2-LSP connections should be extended down to the user. One view
>is that over provisioning and CoS work fine in the enterprise network today,
>and therefore the L2-LSP should only be extended down to the point
>at which the enterprise network connects to the SP network,
>e.g. Ethernet DSLAM. I think the other view will be that over provisioning
>and CoS in the enterprise network don't work and therefore L2-LSPs
>should be provided end-to-end using only GMPLS capable switches.
>I wouldn't have thought there would be much call for mixed
>GMPLS/non-GMPLS enterprise networks (except for during migration)
>due to the opposing views, e.g. if over provisioning is good enough for
>one switch, why isn't it good enough for the other?

Over-provisioned network is non-guaranteed network. It can't prevent
occasional congestion at any rate. Further, network condition in private
network is very diverse. You can't predict minimum service level
inside every private network.

Suppose that an ISP want to provide high-quality, video-phone service
for enterprise users. Nothing can be guaranteed inside the over-provisioned
customer network. If the service level is not satisfactory, customers will complain
to service provider even if the main cause is in his network or destination network.
We need some structure that coordinate service quality in both private sector,
as well as in public sector consistently.
An end-to-end signal is an effective means to communicate between
user terminal, private switches and provider switches, and concert service
quality at each different operations network. This is a goal that RSVP (RFC2205)
pursued, however ineffective in local network because Ethernet industry
didn't support RSVP over Ethernet (RFC2814, 2815, 2816).
Now we have another opportunity to realize the goal using L2-LSP.
Therefore, I believe end-to-end LSP is necessary even in enterprise network
for the purpose of providing guaranteed commercial service.

>I think where most people will agree is that using connections
>in the SPs access network does make sense in order to provide efficient
>link utilisation and per connection policing to ensure one customers
>traffic can not affect another's. Regarding the ability to set up new
>connections based on a request from the user (rather than constraining
>RSVP signalling to inside the SP network), I think this will come
>down to enterprise customer demand for improved service performance.
>If a customer wasn't getting the performance they needed from their
>SP and was offered a new service that allowed them to setup new L2-LSP
>connections on demand that would offer better performance (e.g. for voice
>calls or video conferences), then upgrading the user devices to support
>the new service could well be an attractive proposition. If on the other

Yes, this will be one of prospective service newly enabled using L2-LSP.

>hand a customer buys a best effort service and considers the performance
>to be 'good enough', then there would be no reason to go to the expense
>of upgrading the user devices to support the set up of L2-LSPs.

Ever increasing besteffort bandwidth will eventually not satisfy
both providers and customers for many reasons. Service providers
will have difficulty in collecting expenses enough to invest on increased
bandwidth. This will in turn gradually downgrade overall communication quality,
and applications requiring real-time service will never satisfy customers.
We already see such symptom in some low-price service providers.
I believe new service structure that can provide difference of service
quality will offer benefit to customers, providers as well as vendors in the end.

I also look forward to see you at Paris and continue helpful discussion.

Sincerely

Jaihyung

Dr. Jaihyung Cho
ETRI, Korea
phone :       042) 860-5514
oversea: +82-42-860-5514
fax:         +82-42-861-5550

-----?? ???-----
?? ??: "richard.spencer@bt.com" <richard.spencer@bt.com>
?? ??: 2005-07-14 ?? 1:10:30
?? ??: "jaihyung@etri.re.kr" <jaihyung@etri.re.kr>, "ccamp@ops.ietf.org" <ccamp@ops.ietf.org>
??:
??: RE: End-to-end L2-LSP

Jaihyung,

[...]

I think where most people will agree is that using connections in the SPs access network does make sense in order to provide efficient link utilisation and per connection policing to ensure one customers traffic can not affect another's. Regarding the ability to set up new connections based on a request from the user (rather than constraining RSVP signalling to inside the SP network), I think this will come down to enterprise customer demand for improved service performance. If a customer wasn't getting the performance they needed from their SP and was offered a new service that allowed them to setup new L2-LSP connections on demand that would offer better performance (e.g. for voice calls or video conferences), then upgrading the user devices to support the new service could well be an attractive proposition. If on the other hand a customer buys a best effort service and considers the performance to be 'good enough', then there would be no reason to go to the expense of upgrading the user devices to support the set up of L2-LSPs.

I look forward to the discussions in Paris.

Regards,
Richard