RE: comments on draft-shiba-ccamp-gmpls-lambda-labels-00.txt

If
> one really wants to have a preference for a specific wavelength
channel
> among multiple parallel channels of the same wavelength, bundling
should
> not be exercised in the first place.
[JD]

It isn't bundling.  LMP allows one to configure two or more parallel WDM
systems into a single TE link.  One reason for doing this is to improve
the scalability of the TE LSB.  Another is to reduce crankback (see
below).

If this done, you would have multiple instances of each of the
wavelengths supported by the WDM systems.  You asserted that this is a
BadIdea(tm), but it reduces crankback in the network.

If you make each parallel WDM system a separate TE link, then you have
bound the LSP to the selected TE link.  If the selected wavelength is
blocked, you have to crankback.

If you combine the parallel WDM systems into a single TE link, then the
LSP can be progressed on *any* WDM system on which the selected
wavelength is available.

> Thanks,
> Payam

technology
> > requires the wavelength information for switching. This technology
is
> NOT
> > wavelength agnostic.
> >
> >                |                      |
> >                | wdm                  | wdm
> >                |2                     |2
> >            ---------              ---------
> >     wdm  1| optical |3   wdm    1| optical |3  wdm
> >   --------| switch  |------------| switch  |---------
> >           |  (WSS)  |            |  (WSS)  |
> >            ---------              ---------
> >                |4                     |4
> >                | wdm                  | wdm
> >                |                      |

> > Note that the figure above shows an example of two optical switches
> > interconnect
> > by a single WDM fiber. In this example, each optical switch can be
> connect
> > to 4
> > other optical switches.
> >
> > As you can see, the optical ports information do not provide enough
> > information
> > for wavelength switching.
> >
> > Hope that clarifies the application requirement.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sidney

If
> > > real wavelength value is used, how do the two nodes agree on
> > > which pair
> > > of switch ports to use?
> > >
> > > Furthermore, the amount of configuration is the same - you
> > > still need to
> > > configure the wavelength of each switch port.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > John
> > > ==============================================================
> > > ==========
> > > ====
> > > Adrian,
> > >
> > > In the transparent photonic lambda switch case, the labels also
have
> > > only local significance.  When an LSP is established, the input
> ports,
> > > as identified with local labels, are cross-connected to the output
> > > ports, as identified with local labels.
> > >
> > > There is just extra configuration to identify, using strictly
local
> > > identifiers, the wavelength associated with the all of the
switch's
> > > ports, and an additional CAC requirement that the wavelengths of
the
> > > input and output ports are the same.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > John