Lesser comments on Updated Draft Liaiosn to Q6/15

Thanks Malcolm and Greg,

Deployment scenario 3 "Concern for "basic" impairments" my
recollection is that we were considering network scenarios in
which we could allocate sufficient margin so that a "simple"
computation of the accumulation could be used and still have
a high probability that the optical path would be viable and
would not perturb any existing paths.

Thanks. Yes. "Basic" probably conveys that I was struggling for the right term! Greg suggested "Networks in which approximate impairment estimation is sufficient", and I will merge this with what you suggested (as in this case more may be more!).

Deployment scenario 4 "Concern for "advanced" impairments"
again my recollection is that in this scenario a full computation
of the accumulation of impairments including the impact on
existing paths is required.  This significantly increases the scope
of information required and the compute time.

Well, let's not get into the compute time :-)

But you're right, again I was fishing for words, so I will merge what you said with what Greg supplied.

One final concern:
"With this in mind, CCAMP is looking to Q6/15 to work as a partner in
establishing:
- ....
- the rules by which such impairments are accumulated along a path
 ...."

This implies that we will standardize an aspect of path computation i.e.
the method of computing the accumulation of impairments.  If the path
computation is performed in a single PCE then it is only necessary to
standardize the collection of the impairments, if it is distributed
across multiple PCEs it may be preferable to only expose a "figure of
merit" for the portion of the path that has been computed vs.
standardization of the method of computation.  This should be discussed
with the experts from Q6.

I think you are inferring a little more than was intended. In the PCE working group they talk of "objective functions". For example, they may say "minimize cost" and mean that the cost of a path is computed by accumulating cost in a particular way. But that does not specify a mechanism for computing the least cost path - only the way that the cost of a path is evaluated.

So, it was my intent here to make the same statement. That is, that CCAMP is looking for the rules by which the end-to-end impairments of a path may be determined from a knowledge of parameters of the path and impairments on the path segments.

I will add this clarifying text.

And note that yes, this should be discussed with Q6. That's why we are meeting them :-)

Thanks,
Adrian