From: Lou Berger
To: Dan Li
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:24 AM
Subject: Re: Working group last call: draft-ietf-ccamp-confirm-data-channel-status-02

Dan,

See below for in-line response.  Closed points are replaced with "...".

Lou

On 5/5/2009 4:31 AM, Dan Li wrote:
> Hi Lou and all,
> Thanks for the comments!
> The corresponding changes are made in 03 version.
> Please see below.
> Thanks,
> Dan

RFC2205 and RFC3209 don't have "restart processes".  They do have "soft
state".
[Authors] Sorry, my mistake. With following text, put the reference of
RSVP-TE restart processes and soft state mechanisms:
RSVP-TE restart processes [RFC3473], [RFC5063] define mechanisms where
adjacent LSRs may resynchronize their control plane state to reinstate
information about LSPs that have persisted in the data plane. The soft
state mechanisms are defined in [RFC2205] and [RFC3209]. The mechanisms
allow LSRs to detect mismatched data plane...

>     - Section 2.3:
>      > operations on a cross-connect such as forced protection switch,
>      > red-line,
>
>     Please provide references or definitions of "forced protection
>     switch" and "red-line".
>     [Authors] Replaced with following text:
>     In transport nodes it is possible to perform certain manual operations
>     on a cross-connect such as forced protection switch (refer to [G.841])
>     on a protected link. These operations will make it impossible to release
>     the cross-connect when an LSP is being deleted.

G.841 uses the terms "Lockout of Protection" and "Forced Switch", it
looks like you're combining the two.
[Authors] The command should be "Forced Swtich to protection", change the
text to (may need further reword on this scenario):
In transport nodes it is possible to perform certain manual operations
on a cross-connect by issuing command such as "Forced Switch to protection"
(refer to [G.841])on a protected link. These operations will make it impossible
to release the cross-connect when an LSP is being deleted.

>      > As LMP is already used to verify data plane connectivity, it is
>      > considered to be an appropriate candidate to support this feature.
>
>     This is a fairly major point as it defines the scope of
>     use/applicability of this document. I suggest that you repeat this
>     point in both the abstract and introduction.
>     [Authors] This statement is repeated in both the abstract and
>     introduction.

okay.  You might want to move the pasted sentence to the end of the
paragraphs to improve flow, but this is your call.
[Authors] Pasted sentence is moved to the end of the paragraphs.

>     - Section 4.1:
>
>      > Three new messages are defined to check data channel status. Message
>      > Type numbers are found in Section 7.1.
>
>     So why define new message types? It seems that the same effect
>     could have been obtained using new Channel_Status values in
>     channelstatus messages.
>     [Author] Yes, there are several approaches. If one node doesn't support
>     this function, it can simply ignore the new messages defined in this
>     document.

humm, well this doesn't really answer my question, i.e. why didn't you
use the existing types rather than define new types?

I'm not asking for a change (at this late date) just some justification.
[Authors] When we look at the existing 20 LMP messages, it can be grouped into
several functions. For example, messages 17-20 are defined to get the channel
status information. We think Data channel consistency check is a little bit
different from the channel status collection function. It's better to define
new messages to support this function. Furthermore, we don't need to touch the
inside of LMP, so the messages process can be done at the beginning of LMP
module. If a node doesn't support this function, the message can be ignored at
the message process stage.

>     - Section 4.1:

>     Also, don't you also need to specify out of order processing for the
>     new messages? see the top of Page 24 in RFC4202.
>     [Author] Do you mean Page 24 of RFC4204?

yes.

> The following text is added
>     in section 4.1:
>     Nodes processing incoming messages SHOULD check to see if a newly
>     received message is out of order and can be ignored. Out-of-order
>     messages can be identified by examining the value in the Message_Id
>     field. If a message is determined to be out-of-order, that message
>     should be silently dropped.

Well, this duplicates text from 4204 and should not be included.  I was
pointing the subsequent paragraphs on the page and suggesting something
along the lines of:

    If the message is a Confirm Data Channel Status message, and the
Message_Id value is less
    than the largest Message_Id value previously received from the sender
    for the ????, then the message SHOULD be treated as being out-of-
    order.
[Authors] Okay. Removed the text which is copied from 4204, and added the
following text:
If the message is a Confirm Data Channel Status message, and the Message_Id
value is less than the largest Message_Id value previously received from the
sender for the specified TE link, then the message SHOULD be treated as being
out-of-order.

>      > Data Channel ID
>
>     Isn't this field redundant with the DATA_LINK object's interface_ids?
>     Please keep in mind that LMP already has a notion of data channels
>     that are represented in the 4204/4209 CHANNEL_STATUS objects. Am I
>     missing something?
>     [Authors] In the case of SDH/SONET, Data Channel ID is the
>     timeslot label (32 bits), which is encoded as following:
>     0 1 2 3
>     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
>     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>     | S | U | K | L | M |
>     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

We don't need to do in circles here, but 4204/4209 uses a fundamentally
different model, i.e. one based on data channel (interface) IDs and ID
groups rather than labels.  Your approach is not at all consistent with
existing LMP, but we've already established this with the use of new
messages so be it.

>     - Section 5:
>      > ... The RECEIVER also
>      > sends the ConfirmDataChannelStatusAck message which carries all
>      > the local end statuses of the requested data channels to the
>      > SENDER.
>
>     If the DATA Channel ID remains, you'll need to define how it's used
>     in this message.
>     [Authors] DATA LINK class is defined in RFC4204. In DATA LINK class,
>     a new
>     subobject - Data Channel Status subobject is defined in section 4.2
>     of this
>     document. In this new subobject, the DATA Channel ID is introduced.
>     In the
>     case of SDH/SONET, DATA Channel ID is used to identify each timeslot
>     of the
>     data link. So the reference to RFC4204 section 13.12 will be added
>     in this
>     section.

Yes.  Please add some normative language on ConfirmDataChannelStatusAck
message construction.
[Authors] Added a new section 4.3 to describe the message construction:
-----
4.3. Message Construction
Data_Link Class is included in ConfirmDataChannelStatus and
ConfirmDataChannelStatusAck messages, which is defined in section 13.12
in [RFC4204].

The status of the TE link end is carried by the Data Channel Status subobject
which is defined in section 4.2 of this document. The new subobject is part
of Data_Link Class.

In the case of SDH/SONET, DATA Channel ID in the new subobject is used to
identify each timeslot of the data link.
-----

>      > to the SENDER. In this case, if the ConfirmDataChannelStatusAck or
>      > ConfirmDataChannelStatusNack message is not received by the SENDER
>      > within the configured time, the SENDER SHOULD terminate the data
>      > channel confirmation procedure. A default value of 1 minutes is
>      > suggested for this timer.
>
>     It might be worth identifying this "compatibility" case separately
>     from the case where no ConfirmDataChannelStatusAck is received due
>     to message loss.
>     [Authors] This clause is replaced by the following text:
>     If the ConfirmDataChannelStatus message is not recognized by the
>     RECEIVER,
>     the RECEIVER will not send out an acknowledgment message to the
>     SENDER.
>     Due to message loss problem, the SENDER may not be able to receive the
>     acknowledgment message.
>     In the above two cases, if the ConfirmDataChannelStatusAck or
>     ConfirmDataChannelStatusNack message is not received by the SENDER
>     within the configured time, the SENDER SHOULD terminate the data
>     channel
>     confirmation procedure. A default value of 1 minutes is suggested
>     for this timer.

I'm surprised you don't want to leverage LMP's message retransmission
procedures.
[Authors] The retransmission procedure is added:
-----
In the above two cases, the SENDER SHOULD retransmit the unacknowledged
ConfirmDataChannelStatus message until the message is acknowledged or until
a retry limit is reached. In the case of the retry limit is reached, the
SENDER SHOULD terminate the data channel confirmation procedure.

A default value of 20 seconds is suggested for the retransmission interval,
and 3 times is suggested for the retry limit.
-----

>     Lou
>
>     On 4/17/2009 12:25 PM, Lou Berger wrote:
>      >
>      > This email begins a two week working group last call on
>      > draft-ietf-ccamp-confirm-data-channel-status-02.txt
>      >
>      >
>     http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ccamp-confirm-data-channel-status-02
>      >
>      > Please send your comments to the list or the authors before the last
>      > call closes on May 1, 2009.
>      >

Lou