WSON Generalization and Extensions

Hi CCAMPers, at the San Francisco meeting there were two actions for RWA WSON (non-impairment case):
(1) To look at how the WSON Framework and path computation Info Model could be generalized to other technologies.
(2) To extend the WSON RWA Framework and models to apply to OEO switches, regenerators and similar systems.

We've discussed (1) on this list and will be updating the WSON RWA Info model WG draft shortly. For (2) we decided to first put our
ideas down in a separate draft covering how to support these extensions. We just published these as "WSON Signal Characteristics and Network Element Compatibility Constraints for GMPLS", draft-bernstein-ccamp-wson-signal-00.txt. (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bernstein-ccamp-wson-signal-00.txt)
The goal would be to merge this work into the RWA WSON Framework draft once we've had a discussion of this on the list. Your comments and feedback are invited!
Abstract:
While the current GMPLS WSON formalism can deal with many types of
wavelength switching systems there is a desire to extend this control
plane to include other common optical or hybrid electro optical
systems such as OEO switches, regenerators, and wavelength
converters.

This document provides a WSON signal definition and characterization
based on ITU-T interface and signal class standards and describes the
signal compatibility constraints of this extended set of network
elements. The signal characterization and network element
compatibility constraints enable GMPLS routing and signaling to
control these devices and PCE to compute optical light-paths subject
to signal compatibility attributes.
Best Regards

Greg, Young and Ben Mack-Crane
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237