Re: draft-ietf-grip-isp-00.txt now available

> Source address filtering greatly reduces the number of spoofing-based
> attacks, and is something that can be done today.  Clearly the really
> determined attacker will find a way around it.

I was being subtle, and Phil too educational.  Today, on the real network,
large aggregation routers can not take the additional load.

> I'd welcome wider comment on the issues relating to mobile IP.

Phil is correct.

>> Sure. How about SMTP relay servers set up for the use of traveling
>> Eudora users?
> Another alternative is to use a friendly local SMTP relay site where the
> travelling users connect.

I just dialed into a local university server with a guest account.  I have
not the slightest idea where a friendly local SMTP relay site is.  And I
will be on to the next city in the morning.

>> Agreed. When an open mail relay host gets discovered by the spammers,
>> the main victim is the mail relay operator himself. That's usually
>> plenty of incentive to turn off relaying.
> As I said to Randy, I don't think that's sufficient to get the
> operator's attention.

Then that's life.  The reality is that a large ISP today can not mandate how
customers manage their mail servers.  And we probably will not be able to in
the future, as it is outlawing knives as opposed to murder.

randy