Re: draft-ietf-grip-isp-00.txt now available

Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com> writes:
> Here's one thing we can agree on: SSH is a very useful tool for the
> traveling laptop user, particularly for setting up secure TCP tunnels
> for SMTP and POP that Eudora can use. If you like, I can write up
> something on how to configure SSH and Eudora to work together. I
> already have done this for a Qualcomm audience; I just need to make it
> less specific to our setup.

No argument there.  But let's face it - many traveling laptop users are
executives or sales folk or otherwise non-technical people who have never
heard of or used telnet, let alone SSH.  Often they are disconnected POP
users. In this case, the POP "XTND XMIT" capability circumvents the
wide-open mail relay problem in a decent way, since at least it occurs
over an authenticated (albeit cleartext) session.  There was at least one
POP client which used to support this; I can't speak for Eudora though as
I don't personally use it.  On the server side, the Berkeley popper and
Qualcomm's derviative both do.

---
Larry J. Hughes Jr.    larry@nwnet.net     http://www.nwnet.net/~larry/