Re: draft-ietf-grip-isp-00.txt now available

==> From: Mike O'Dell

Thanks, less puzzled now. But...

> one reason i'm so vehement is because i have a responsibility
> to make sure that WG activities don't run afoul of anti-trust
> restrictions

Not understandable by non-USA citizens like myself.
Not allowing IP packets coming from a customer but NOT from the IP
ranges that that customer uses seems the most perfectly sensible
thing in the world to do.

> another is because i think it just a Bad Idea
>
> and yet another is because it will get ignored, and making rules
> which you know will get ignored simply wastes whatever air of
> authority you happen to enjoy

Hmmm. This is dangerous thinking. Like this it becomes impossible to
make serious recommendations (nobody says "must") out of fear that
they may be ignored. You say "will", but how do you know? You know
that UUNET wil ignore it, but... Rumour goes that several ISPs even
use Paul Vixie's black-hole feed, which seems to me to press way
beyond spoofing filtering and indeed be unacceptable - but they do
it. What Tom wrote is very innocent stuff, compared to that...

I see tons of IETF recommendations (take the mail RFC's) which get
ignored by tons of people every day. That doesn't make them less
valid, on the contrary.

-don