Re: draft-ietf-hansen-pop3-xtndext-00.txt

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 hansen@pegasus4.bl-els.att.com wrote:
> draft describing the POP3 XTND XMIT and XTND XLST extensions. It was
> suggested that I share it with the DRUMS list as well.
>
> Enclosed is a copy of draft-ietf-hansen-pop3-xtndext-00.txt, which I've also
> sent to the internet-drafts editor. (With L.A. coming up soon, it may not
> make it out the door there until after that meeting.)
>
> Please send any comments either directly to me or to the DRUMS or GRIP
> lists. I'll submit the I-D to the RFC editor after L.A.

Please don't send those extensions to the RFC editor.  They are very
poorly designed and will cause a number of serious problems in the field.
I believe this is out of scope for the GRIP WG.

I consider the SMTP AUTH extension to be a superior solution to the
problem in all ways -- it requires fewer code changes, is more flexible
and secure, and results in an architecture with better functional
separation.  See draft-myers-smtp-auth-09.txt.  That solution also works
for IMAP as well as POP with far less complexity.

		- Chris

[I don't read the grip-wg mailing list, and am not including the DRUMS
 list since this is out-of-scope]