Re: draft-ietf-grip-isp-06.txt

At 4:41 PM -0800 12/3/98, Tom Killalea wrote:

> 8.4 Message Submission
>
>    To facilitate the enforcement of security policy message submission
>    should be done through the MAIL SUBMIT port (587) as proposed in the
>    work in progress called "Message Submission and Relay", rather than
>    through the SMTP port (25).

Message Submission was approved by the IESG as a Proposed Standard.
The RFC should be out any day now.

>    The (undocumented) XTND XMIT POP3 extension which allows clients to
>    send mail through the POP3 session rather than using SMTP may also be
>    considered.  It also provides a way to support mobile users at sites
>    where open relaying is disabled, and has the benefit of an
>    authenticated connection and a better audit trail.

I'd suggest a minor wording tweak to avoid the impression that XTND
XMIT is better than authenticated SMTP on the Submit port.  Something
like:

"It also provides a way to support mobile users at sites where open
relaying is disabled, with an authenticated connection and an audit
trail.  However, using authenticated SMTP on the Submit port is the
preferred approach."