Re: iesg comment re message submission indraft-ietf-grip-isp-expectations-03.txt

--On Tuesday, May 30, 2000 9:07 -0400 Mike O'Dell <mo@UU.NET> wrote:
> the disproof of non-existence ("i know of several servers...")
> is hardly a statement of production-quality capability,
> and the operational change you demand impacts many millions
> of users.  one major issue is that many email CLIENTS do not
> support an alternative submission port - it's rare enough to
> find one that can post email using a server different from the
> one it fetched the email from.  and while I applaud Eudora for
> its flexibility, it is, alas, rather unique in that respect.

Almost every email client I've tried accepts the syntax "hostname:587" in
the SMTP server field and connects to the submit port accordingly.

However, I agree we should be honest that it's not practical for an ISP to
restrict submission to port 587 yet on the grounds that the syntax
"hostname:587" is not sufficiently user-friendly and there are a few
minority clients that don't support that.  However, we should encourage
server vendors and ISPs to be as proactive about deploying port 587 as
possible.  The bootstrap problem will continue to exist unless someone
takes the first step and the cost to server vendors and ISPs to be
proactive on this front is near zero.

At some point we will start deploying submit-only services which will be
explicitly banned on port 25 because they would harm the infrastructure.
The two big ones that come to mind are:

 * URL resolution at submit server.  For example, forwarding an attachment
   from an IMAP server *without* downloading it to the client first.

 * Content translation, for example using a slow high quality audio/video
   compressor on the submit server (the voicemail folk want this).

If we deploy 587 proactively, the transition will be less painful.

The security of a software system has three factors:
	* architecture
	* code quality
	* how quickly security fixes are deployed
Speaking as a server vendor, the security architecture necessary to do
relay blocking and SMTP AUTH submission on the same port is quite ugly and
far more error prone than if submit and relay were distinct services.  With
port 587 I can simply require SMTP AUTH.  With port 25, the recipients have
to be partitioned into groups which require authentication and groups which
don't, and the server can't require authentication until the client is in
the middle of the email transaction.

		- Chris