Re: APNG iDNS Requirement

At 11:07 04.01.00 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>APNG IDNS WG some very simple requirements. While we may not use it, I think
>it might be a good reference.
>
>The system must
>
>1. be compatible with current DNS servers, clients and protocols.
>2. co-exists with current English domain name space.
>3. provides a mechanism for DNS to adopt multilingual characters

....but we have to figure out exactly what this means.....

>4. retains compatibility with all existing Internet protocols (e.g.
>    HTTP, SMTP, FTP etc)

SMTP at least is defined to use a small character set in domainnames, so
i18n will require a protocol change.

given how many different implementations of these exist, all that we can do
here is really ask how many of the implementations we break.....that's the
real-life definition of "compatibility", methinks....

                             Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no