Re: Matching and comparison

At 08:42 00/01/19 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> First thing: what the heck is the "Microsoft I-D"? I haven't seen this
> referenced before. A better name might be helpful...

Here is the original anouncement I was able to dig out from my
mailboxes. Maybe there was an 01 or 02 version. If somebody
has a copy of the original(s), or can tell me where to find one,
we could put them somewhere for historical purposes.

	Title		: Using the UTF-8 Character Set
                          in the Domain Name System
	Author(s)	: S. Kwan, J. Gilroy
	Filename	: draft-skwan-utf8-dns-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 24-Nov-97

The Domain Name System standard specifies that names are represented
using the ASCII character encoding.  This document expands that
specification to allow the use of the UTF-8 character encoding, a
superset of ASCII and a translation of the UCS-2 character encoding.
<<<<

> This wouldn't break the current DNS system if we had different rules for
> internationalized names than we have for the current all-ASCII names and an
> easy way for systems to tell the difference between the two. This is what I
> would propose for a protocol. But there's no need to spell this one out in
> the requirements, I think.

How would you tell the difference? And would it really make sense?
Assume I have mycompany.com, which is case-folded, i.e. Mycompany.COM
gets me to the same place,, and now I create Du"rst.mycompany.com,
and suddenly Du"rst.Mycompany.COM isn't found anymore?

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org