RE: [idn] Re: An idn protocol for consideration in making the req uirements

----------back to Ned's text-----------------------

> so this is a complete  strawman argument.
> The issue isn't the DNS, it is applications that use the DNS.  And nobody
> claimed such applications will die either (although it is known that some
very
> old ones will). What is claimed is that applications will trash domain
names in
> UTF-8. And please don't try and tell me otherwise; I've seen
> it happen many many times.

Reencoding non-ASCII into ASCII is a trashing in itself.  The
experience with QP and BASE64 for text is frightening enough
not to accept anything in that vein again.  And for e-mail
those things were really temporary measures anyway, given
ESMPT and 8bit.  QP and BASE64 for 'plain' text are still used
(even emitted by the e-mail system I use; which I cannot
control in this respect).

I'd much rather have some temporary problems with UTF-8 than
have permanent problems with something that reencodes non-ASCII
into ASCII.

In a transition phase (or permanently, if desired) I see no
real problem in having two or more names for the same domain,
one of which had to be in ASCII.  People could then say "...if this
domain/e-mail address does not work, try this one instead...".

After some time we would then have a 'clean' solution, rather
than be permanently troubled with UTF-5, CIDNUC, or whatever
like that.

		Kind regards
		/kent k