Length of labels (RE: [idn] IURL vs URL, IDNS name vs DNS name)

At 19:00 11.02.00 +0200, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

>The UCS could be encoded using A-Z 0-9. On average each non-ASCII character
>would require 3 to 4 characters. All we need to change is to allow longer
>names in DNS and to provide a viewer which decodes these creatures back to
>UCS or the local code page.

Unfortunately the limit of 63 octets per domain name component is enshrined
in a 6-bit length field in RFC 1035, section 4.1.4 (the 2 upper bits are
used as a flag to indicate pointers or "something-elses"), so "all we need
to change" to get this length increased is every single piece of DNS
software on the planet.

Not that we might not come to that anyway...

                          Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no