Re: [idn] Unicode tagging

> > > if you always use unicode on the wire, there's no need for a tag.
> > > systems that have to support multiple encodings (or even the
> > > possibility of multiple encodings) are far more complex than
> > > single-encoding systems.
> > >

> > I dont think this is totally true... there are different transformations
of
> > Unicode as well as different specifications 16 bit or 32 bit.
>
> so pick one of them.  domain names (and presumably IDNs) are short
> enough that there's not likely to be enough bandwidth savings
> to make it worth complicating the protocol.

uniform byte-length characters are extremely beneficial to DNS and we should
try to preserve it in the protocol.
We dont know whether some day we might go beyond UCS-4.

> > My "alternate implementation" in the I-D that was submitted illustrates
how
> > we could confine the tagging to unicode forms.
>
> we could do that.  I personally think it would be sub-optimal, because
> it would further complicate things like DNSSEC.

DNSSEC is extremely important but I dont think anything have to change, at
least not because of the use of DNSII.

> > Shouldnt it be left to the customers to decide what they actually want
in
> > their domain names?
>
> no.  customers are generally ignorant of what it takes to keep the service
> working well.  customers would demand that all manner of characters appear
> in domain names or IDNs; then they would complain about the lousy service
> that they brought on themselves.  (or that other customers brought on
them)

But we also have to understand that domain names are no longer simple text
commands over the internet... it is part of a company's brand and
identity... We have the responsibility to let people have the names they
really want... If a person decides to have a name that may be easily
confused... it is their choice!  Perhaps they just want a set of targeted
audience... names with the number zero or one mixed with alphabets are also
confusing but the registrant chooses to use such a name... there is no
problem at all is there?  Unless there is a cybersquatting issue, but then
that is dealt with through ICANN...

> Keit

Edmon