Re: [idn] UTC feedback

One other note. I am not familiar enough with the DNS server structure, but
in other situations I know of the server maintains 2 strings for each name.
One is the "ideal" way the name should be spelled. The other is the
canonical name, which is a canonicalization of the ideal name.

That way, the ideal name could be "MyCompanyName.com"

while the canonical version is "mycompanyname.com"

When you query the server for identity, your string is canonicalized
(somewhere), and then compared with the canonical form on the server with a
fast, binary comparison. If, however, you query the server for what the
name is, you get back the ideal name. That way the user interface can
present the "ideal" spelling, and yet the server will accept a host of
different variations: "Mycompanyname.com", ... This can help to reinforce
the "proper" spelling.

This is, of course, ONLY necessary if you want to allow for that second
query. That's where I don't know whether this is either desired, or
possible, with current protocols. So I am not suggesting that this be the
case, just inquiring!

Mark