Re: [idn] NSI Multilingual Testbed Information (fwd)

Bill,

Your concern about ACE and Jason's patent is no more than a excuse
against ACE. Once again, you have diverted what supposing a technical
discussion to a policy/patent/business discussion. I repeat what I told
you few months back.

So far, your case against ACE include:

a) Software Patent by Jason which our (idns) lawyers have said it wont
   stand up in a claim due to prior public works. (Jason filed in
Australia
   few months after Martin's -00 I-D.)

b) Business reasons to adopt Microsoft DNS.

Neither of which is of any technical merits to the WG.

I am not saying patent and propriety standard is not a concern of the
IETF. I am very much against propriety standard myself and I like to see
an open standard defined for IDN. However, there are patents which holds
water and there are patent which does not.

Incidently, I have also followed Mozilla I18N and AFAIK, they have not
discuss any I18N on URL. I was asked by Opera what to do with I18N
domain names in their browser and I told them to do nothing until this
WG work is complete. I made the same recommendation to Sun Java
developers group and IBM folk. So I dont know where you got the
reference on Netscape.

ps: BTW, you just make a strong case why Software Patent should just
***DIE***. There are so many patents out there and it is hard to know
what you do will infridge on someone else prior work. It makes me wonder
whether USPTO's have any clue at all sometimes...

-James Seng

Dogbert: I just patenting the 'zero-click' for online shopping.
Dilbert: What does it do? (continue looking at his computer)
Dogbert: You better start clicking on something or else I send you
         some books.