Re: [idn] nameprep forbidden characters

Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
> We should distinguish "punctuation", like 060C Arabic Comma, and
> "diacritics", such as 064E Arabic Fatha. Diacritics is probably the wrong
> word. I have the impression that you were referring to the latter.

Arabic "diacritics" have few purposes, sometimes been vowels. Linguistic would
probably scream at us if we dont allow or ignore this but common user dont
usually write them.

> For Hebrew, my opinion is that from the point of view of the user,
> punctuation should be forbidden, while diacritics such as the vowels and
> other combining characters should be allowed and be ignored.
>
> I believe it is important that the rules for Arabic and Hebrew should be the
> same as far as possible.

I agreed. Natively, I would suggest treatment of Arabic diacritics could be
done in the same way as Hebrew points, ie allow but ignored. But we definately
need some other Arabic expert advise on this.

-James Seng