Re: [idn] VIDN

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, James Seng/Personal wrote:

| On the other hand, there are certain good point on VIDN (Okay, I am
| playing devil adovcates again :-)

  I think the VIDN proposal is, as a whole, unimplementable.  It basically
relies on one basic insight:  that folks are already using
'internationalized domain names' by a vaguely-defined, ad hoc
transliteration scheme.  This insight, while interesting, I don't think
provides enough leverage to solve the IDN problem, and creates many more
administrative problems than it solves.

  I do think that there are some interesting ideas here that might be
quite applicable to the 'DNSng' stuff that John Klensin's paper is
pointing towards.  Issues of transliteration are going to be important as
the scope and localization of the Internet increases.  For example, your
(James) name as presented in the 'task force' report yesterday was in a
script I cannot read, yet is in (I assume) your preferred
representation.  Given that I am not likely to learn Chinese very soon, my
'user agent' should probably help me out by providing a reasonable
transliteration of your name.  In the context of the Directory DNS, I
might want to be able to find a resource via a transliteration of its
name.  The VIDN work might provide a pointer to what works and doesn't
work here.

  -bws