Re: [idn] nameprep (Korean Nameprep)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Mark Davis wrote:

> 1. It is correct that neither the compatibility Jamo nor the half-width
Jamo
> are combined into Hangul syllables by the normalization algorithm.
However,
> those Jamo are not intented for use in constructing Hangul syllables --
> instead, the conjoining Jamo are. And those are correctly composed into
> syllables, if individual Jamo are input.
>
> It would be possible to deal separately with those characters in
nameprep --

I agree.

> although without more information it is not possible to completely
eliminate
> ambiguity in choosing whether a consonant is leading or trailing.

compatibility jamo sequences may be preserved unchanged. Otherwise,
they may be transformed into correct conjoinging jamo sequences before
nameprep based on hangul automata for contructing hangul syllables from jamo
(this will make common nameprep codes include hangul-specific codes in it).
We (KRNIC NC) have no consensus yet on whether these sequences
should be preserved or not.

> Do you
> believe this is, in practice, a really problem; that there are a large
> number of people that produce Korean text with compatibility or half-width
> Jamo, instead of Hangul syllables?

Hangul compatibility jamo sequences are not rare in korean texts and
are useful for hangul consonant-letter acronyms for long hangul words
or phrases.  They will unburden  typing efforts.

Soobok Lee, lsb@postel.co.kr