Re: [idn] WG last call documents

"Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:

> Why must anything live without some reasonable characters just because
> IDNA didn't see the reason for it at this particular moment?

Exactly which "reasonable" characters are you talking about?  The
prohibited list in nameprep is pretty small, and they're all characters
that you'd have to be somewhat crazy to want to use in domain names.

> I mean, why come up with YET ANOTHER ACE ENCODING just for email
> addresses or some other data-type which happens to get stored in DNS
> sooner or later, when we can design for flexibility right now?  Why?

I asked long ago, shouldn't we try to design a solution that handles
both domain labels and email address local-parts?  I was told no, that's
out of scope, a different working group will take care of email address
local parts.  I share your concern, but I got the impression that this
was not open for debate.

AMC