Re: [idn] IDN eamples for testing

Paul,

There was an implicit question in my note: is anyone using these "test" registrations for operational purposes?

I was responding only to the question whether the registrations should be immediately terminated or allowed to phase out. The latter was not intended to place burdens on any clients - the presumption I was making is that if it works now, would it not keep working for that existing subset of clients that use it? If there is a technical mutual-exclusion problem (can't work with both), I would agree that the non-IDNA registrations would have to be terminated.

Vint

At 02:27 PM 3/24/2003 -0800, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>At 7:03 PM -0300 3/24/03, vinton g. cerf wrote:
>>the only reason for suggesting the time table was uncertainty whether any of these registrations were in regular use as sites on the net. as opposed to purely test sites.
>
>Why should that matter? If anyone was using these in "regular use", they were doing so with no standard and, for at least the past year, no available Internet Draft. Why do you feel that clients that conform to IDNA should also conform to every possible Internet Draft that preceded it, particularly when those drafts were explicitly rejected by the WG years ago?
>
>This is not normally how the IETF makes standards...
>
>--Paul Hoffman, Director
>--Internet Mail Consortium

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology