Re: [idn] ToUnicode output can be longer than input

--On Tuesday, 29 April, 2003 07:47 +0000 "Adam M. Costello" <idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord> wrote:

I think the term ACE was introduced before I arrived on this
mailing list, so I have no memory of its origin, but I do
remember the group deciding that after a particular ACE was
selected, it would be known simply as "ACE".  Now that IDNA is
a proposed standard, I would argue that "ACE" means "IDNA ACE".
Adam,

Regardless of what the WG may or may not have decided at the time, the fact that various "testbed names" and other non-standard approaches continue to exist (something that at least some of the WG didn't anticipate), makes the use of the term "ACE" at least ambiguous. The WG would be doing itself, and the community, a disservice by ignoring the fact that there continue to be other "ACE" approaches in active use and insisting that only it can define what "ACE" means.

I have been using "IDNA name" or "IDNA ACE" in my writing, and would suggest that others adopt that, or some similar, convention that precisely identifies what is being discussed.

thanks,
john