Re: [idn] IDN's with any ASCII character

--On Tuesday, 29 April, 2003 23:21 -0700 Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

There's no such thing as "high ASCII."  ASCII only goes up to
0x7F. Everything else is Latin-1 or Unicode or GB 18030 or
something else, but it can't be called ASCII.
Doug, just in the interest of being precise about this, my recollection is that the first US version of "Latin-1" (aka ISO 8859-1) was formally known as "8 bit ASCII". The current version of "ASCII" -- ANSI/INCITS 4-1986 (formerly X3.4) is titled "Information Systems - Coded Character Sets - 7-Bit American National Standard Code for Information Interchange (7-Bit ASCII)"
The parenthetical note is an artifact of that "... Coded Character Sets - 8-Bit American National... document which, if I recall, was withdrawn when the US adopted/endorsed ISO 8859-1 rather than maintaining its own version.

The ANSI (and INCITS) rules about references to withdrawn standards are a bit muddy, but to characterize such a reference with "can't be called" is excessive. While, as far as I know, "high ASCII" has never been a standard term, "ASCII-8" and "8-Bit ASCII" definitely have been. And both terms are still used informally, both inside and outside the US, to refer to the Standardized form of Latin-1, i.e., ISO 8859-1.

john