Re: COACH draft now available

John,

currently reading draft-loughney-coach-00 as it appears on the IETF website.

Overall comment: At first glance, it appears to be a move towards "high ceremony" standard-making. But the limited size and pragmatic guidelines might help us get away with it - after all, one should be able to write the first draft of a 5-page document in an afternoon!

It also appears to be somewhat misleading in its title - I'd see the making of quality plans as just one tool in the toolbox of "going for quality".

Some comments while I'm reading:

- It adds new things to the WG charter: Individuals who have signed up to do work. This may be a good thing to do, but it seems odd to have this change in procedures for the charter buried inside the description of the quality plan.
Also, it turns changes of personnel into charter revisions - which increases overhead.

Might it be better to split this section into "charter" (as today) and "resource plan" (not only editors, but also committed reviewers)?

- 2.3 introduces the review plan, which starts off with the challenge assessment review, whose purpose is to produce the challenge assessment section of this document. This seems to be a bit circular - are you assuming a model where the document starts out nearly empty, and then gets filled through review? if so, version control of the quality plan should be mentioned..... including the issue of who gets to approve it....

- the Last Call should be considered part of the review plan. I'd also expect the usefulness of issue trackers to grow larger near the end of a cycle; after all, "this approach is hopeless" (a natural early issue) is a hard issue to track, while "the convergence time needs to be specified as 30 msecs, not 50" is a very easy one to track.

- 3. post mortem. As we've observed before, the AD tends to "marry" the group's result in the end process. It might be better to have someone else do the quality asessment - after all, if the quality is lousy, but still gets out, we want to learn from that too: what were the circumstances that forced us to live with it?

that's my initial thoughts, and apologies for taking so long until I got around to reading it properly....

Harald