Re: ipAddressTable in new, version-neutral RFC2011 draft

>On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 12:09:56PM -0500, Kristine Adamson wrote:
>>  On our platform we support IP addresses that exist on multiple hosts
but
>>are only owned (i.e., advertised to routers) by one of these hosts.  They
>>exist on the other hosts as part of a workload balancing function for TCP
>>connections.  This has caused problems for some network management apps
>>that provide topology discovery information using data obtained from the
>>SNMP ipAddrTable from RFC2011.  When the management app sees the same IP
>>address in the ipAddrTable from 2 different hosts, the app thinks the IP
>>address has moved. Is there a recommended way of reporting these
addresses?

>Hi Kristine,

>Is the mac address is reported for each entry in each agent the
>same or different? Do you cable all the hosts on a common layer 2
>subnetwork or not?

Mike,
   Thanks for the feedback.  On the hosts where the IP address is not
"owned/advertised",
the interfaces associated with the IP addresses do not have MAC addresses
and they have an IANA ifType of virtualIpAddress (112).  The reason we
support these IP addresses in the ipAddrTable on these hosts is because we
also support the
TCP connections distributed to the hosts in the hosts' tcpConnTable from
RFC2012.  The IP address appears
as the tcpConnLocalAddress value.  How can we support the distributed TCP
connections in the
tcpConnTable on the host when the host's ipAddrTable does not contain an
entry for the
tcpConnLocalAddress value?

Thanks,

Kristine Adamson
IBM Communications Server for MVS: TCP/IP Development
Internet e-mail:adamson@us.ibm.com