RE: Place Holders

HI,

Mike brings up an issue that I had long forgotten.  Years ago, I made
a proposal for a "delegation" construct so that the "hand off" of
authority was clear with OID assignments.

Presently, today the best way to do this is an OBJECT-IDENTITY in
a MIB module delegation by the owner of the parent OID, and then
an IMPORTS by the owner of the child. However, if you don't
want to "burn a level of OIDs", then only one side can use
a construct.

That is, if you do some thing like
Approach 1:
 IANA-ENTERPRISE-ASSIGNMENTS DEFINITION ::= BEGIN
   del2Ent1194 OBJECT-IDENTITY
      DESCRIPTION "Enterprise assignment for MIBs4You"
      ::= { enterprises 1194 }
  END

  MIBS4YOU-ROOT DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
    IMPORTS
        del2Ent1194 FROM IANA-ENTERPRISE-ASSIGNMENTS
    ;

    <definitions under 1194>
  END

Approach 2:
  IANA-ENTERPRISE-ASSIGNMENTS DEFINITION ::= BEGIN
    del2Ent1194 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprise 1194 }
  END

  MIBS4YOU-ROOT DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
    IMPORTS
        enterprises FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    ;

    MIBS4YOUROOT OBJECT-IDENTITY
       ::= { enterprises 1194 }

    <definitions under 1194>
  END

With the delegation construct, you may have something like:
  IANA-ENTERPRISE-ASSIGNMENTS DEFINITION ::= BEGIN
    del2Ent1194 OBJECT-DELEGATION
       STATUS   current
       WHEN     "199509130000Z"
       ORGANIZATION  "MIBs4You"
       CONTACT-INFO  "...."
       ::= { enterprise 1194 }
  END

  MIBS4YOU-ROOT DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
    IMPORTS
        enterprises FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    ;

    MIBS4YOUROOT OBJECT-IDENTITY
       ::= { enterprises 1194 }

    <definitions under 1194>
  END
(note that two constructs have value { enterprises 1194 })