Re: WG Last Call: three draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-*01 documents (fwd)

> How can we work for improve the document?

Um, redraft it in a different format?

What is the document trying to achieve for whom?

I appreciate that a lot of work has produced a long list of places
where IPv4 addresses are used but so what?  The list is a mixture of
current standards, RFC that may have been useful once but are now all
but dead, RFC that have been superseded etc all mixed up together and
then divided into eight.  When there was one document, I could at
least search it, now I cannot even do that.

To be useable, I think that related information should be brought
together, so
that there is a single discussion of eg BGPv4 or SNMPv1 including
information from all the relevant RFC.  And there should be an
index, a separate document,  in  RFC order listing those documents
that have been worked on,
stating
whether or not there is a IPv4 dependency apparent in each and giving
cross-references to which part of which of the eight or more IDs  in
which I can then find the discussion thereof.

This is a complex area eg when a MIB RFC imports Textual
Conventions which give address formats from another, or where BGP is
extended to encompass other 'address' formats
As it stands, the output does not do justice to the work put in and I
do not feel inclined to refine it with detailed comments on particular
RFC (or
ID).

I do not think it/they are ready to be forwarded.

Tom Petch
Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged
or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.