Re: SNMP improvements

>>>>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:10:34 -0700, Andy Bierman <abierman@cisco.com> said:

Andy> Also, I don't understand why "fixing" SNMP is so important
Andy> anyway.  The industry has decided SNMP is good for monitoring
Andy> and notifications, and it does a great job in both cases.

I agree that its good for monitoring and notifications, but I disagree
it does a great job in both cases.  It still suffers problems, like
bulking as Dinakaran pointed out.  It also suffers from lack of
current data types, a lack of security that matches current security
deployment sceneries, ...  It *has* been good and continues to be good
for many situations.  It does, however, suffer from all the problems
that started EOS and SMIng in the first place.  Some of those
problems, like dealing with hierarchal configuration, can be thrown
out since netconf might take care of them (note I only say might
because it still needs to be proven in an interoperable fashion
[juniper has proven it can work in a non-interoperable way which is a
huge start]).  I still believe we need to fix SNMP in a few cases, and
I agree that the number of cases has hopefully been reduced.  If,
however, we expect it to be used in the future along with netconf, as
you suggest, then it could use some minor revamps.