Re: BITS as index

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Harrington, David wrote:
> RFC2578 says that a BITS used as an index is a varying length
> string. Am I correct in believing that this would be a varying
> length string with implied length?

From reading RFC 2578 Sec. 7.7 I don't think so.  All I see is
that a BITS-valued index is considered to be a variable-length
string, and so it is covered by 7.7 (3).  Am I missing something in
the RFC that says it has to be implied?  Is there some specific
reason why you would believe that BITS must be IMPLIED?

> If so, that would imply that this must be the last element of an
> index, correct?

As far as I can tell, that's true only if the IMPLIED keyword is
present.

//cmh