Re: smilint warnings

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:33:53PM +0200, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

> I need some expert advice. Running the attached MIB module with
> smilint results in the following warnings:
>
> rtcpxrmib_mar28_05.mib.txt:1590: [5] {notification-not-reversible} warning: notification `rtcpXrVoipThresholdViolation' is not reverse mappable

An explanation can be found in the Simple Times 6(1) column "Questions
Answered" written by Dave Perkins:

http://www.simple-times.org/pub/simple-times/issues/6-1.html

> rtcpxrmib_mar28_05.mib.txt:66: [5] {type-without-format} warning: type `LeveldB' has no format specification

This TC uses in INTEGER type and does not define a DISPLAY-HINT. Since
the SMIv2 does not say such values should be rendered in decimal if
no DISPLAY-HINT clause is present, implementations can in principal
render values by using whatever base they like to use. By adding a
DISPLAY-HINT "d" clause this ambiguity can be avoided.

(In practical terms, the commonly implemented default rendering seems
to be decimal rendering on all implementations I have seen in my life
but you know how the IETF works - simply saying it is decimal by
default is too difficult...)

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany